Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Monday, April 18, 2005

10-7



Upon arriving for duty two days ago I was informed by my shift commander that my good friend for many years Officer Leonard Pokrinchak "Pork Chop" had suffered a heart attack and passed away at thirty-nine years old. I had spoken with Pork Chop a few days earlier and he told me that he had been feeling really badly and was having trouble with his blood sugar. It was a terrible shock for me to hear of his passing.

Pork Chop and I met in 1996 while working together for the Florida Department of Corrections at Sumter Correctional Institution. We quickly became friends and often went to breakfast together after working the midnight shift. Later we ended up working at the county jail together where I currently still work.

It has only been alittle over a year ago that Pork Chop was in a near fatal head on car collision. He was injured badly and had to go through intense therapy to get back on his feet again. Although I'd rather not say too much for fear of repercussions, I feel he was not treated fairly by the department after his accident. I might add that Pork Chop held the rank of Sergeant .

I did not write this piece, I found it on someone's personal site and thought I'd put it here.

Meeting Thy God
The Correctional Officer stood and faced his God, which must always come to pass. He hoped his shoes were shining just as brightly as his brass. "Step forward now Correctional Officer. How shall I deal with you? Have you always turned the other cheek? To my church have you been true?" The Correctional Officer squared his shoulders and said, "No, Lord I guess I ain't, because those of us who carry badges can't always be a Saint. I've had to work most Sundays, and at times my work was rough and sometimes I've been violent. Because inside the walls are awful tough. But I never took a penny, that wasn't mine to keep, I worked alot of overtime, when the bills just got too steep. And I never passed a cry for help, though at times I shook with fear, and sometimes, God forgive me, I wept unmanly tears. I know I don't deserve a place among the people here. They never wanted me around except to calm their fears. If you've a place for me here, Lord, it needn't be so grand. I never expected or had too much, but if you don't I'll understand." There was silence all around the Throne, where the saints often trod. As the Correctional Officer waited quietly for the judgement of his God. "Step forward now Correctional Officer, you've borne your burdens well. Come walk a beat on Heaven's streets, you've done your time in Hell."
Author Unknown

It is a Law Enforcement and Corrections custom to do what is often referred to as a final call. To give full understanding, the police code 10-7, is the code for "no longer in service". Usually, immediately following the funeral service of a fallen officer the final call will be performed over the radio by a dispatcher. It is done in a series of three calls to the deceased officer.

Although it may be only here on my simple page, I will make sure that Pork Chop receives the honor that he deserves with my own final call.

"Sumter to Sgt. Pokrinchak..."

"Sumter to Sgt. Pokrinchak..."

"Sumter to Sgt. Pokrinchak..."

"Sumter to all units...be advised... Sgt. Pokrinchak is 10-7..."

Leonard "Pork Chop" Pokrinchak 1965-2005
Thanks for always being my friend and having my back Pork Chop.
I'll miss you my brother.

-S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter