Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

For Mom...

This is not a poem, just a tribute to my Mom in preparation for this coming Mother's Day, more will follow.

As I laid in my bed last night I thought alot about Mom. It's a wonderful thing to realize just how much your mother loves you. I remember when I was very little how my mom was always there when I needed her. She used to sing songs to me like "The Teddy Bear's Picnic" and call me "Sweet Boy Jones". She was always there when I was afraid, like the time when David and Tracey insisted I watch "The Exorcist" with them. I sat up half the night scared out of my wits and Mom laid in the bed with me till I went to sleep.

I was such a stubborn little kid, but Mom always loved me no matter what. When I was about five I got into the habit of always wanting to make "Projects". I came home from school one day with some type of project in mind. I grabbed all kinds of stuff from the pantry and decided to mix it all together to make, "The Ultimate Project" I mixed all this stuff together, flour, salt, pepper, corn meal, water, an entire container of garlic powder, and I few more things I can't remember. I remember stirring and stirring this stuff until I reached a point of completion and said, "There, it's my project." I remember Mom got so mad especially since I had used her entire container of garlic powder, which I believe had not been opened until I got it. She said, "Well guess what, you're eating your project for supper!" She of course being Mom would not in a million years have made me eat that mess I had made, but for at least a couple of hours, I was affraid that I was going to have to consume, "My Project"

As I grew up and got into my teen years and involved with girls Mom always listened to me when I had a problem. When Dad was working midnight shift I would often go in and lay next to Mom in the bed and tell her about my woes in life, usually keeping her up much later than she wanted to be. She never complained though because she loved me.

The first time I ever moved away from home, I moved about one hundred miles away. Mom came up and helped me get settled in. She cried when she was leaving. I cried after she left. When I came back home somewhat broken, other than the occasional "get a job" she always made me know that she was happy I was home.

When it came time for Mom to leave and move to Kansas I didn't try to hold back the tears, I just held on to Mom and cried.

I guess Mom could sum me up with the words from a Blake Shelton song, "That one's kinda crazy, but that one is my baby."

I love you Mom!


-S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter