Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Friday, August 26, 2005

I'm always deep in thought...

Since I was a child I've always been a day dreamer. I can quite easily relate to Peter Billingsley's character Ralphie in the 80's movie A Christmas Story.

I still sit and day dream even now, although sometimes my day dreams are more analytical in nature, or more so about some song or movie idea I want to write.

I've come to a point in my life that I hate the dreamer side of myself. I spend too much time dreaming and very little production ever comes out of it. I constantly run movie ideas or song lyrics through my head and only about a quarter of the time do I ever put anything on paper. Sometimes I think I'm creative enough to actually write a worthwhile product. I'm a huge fan of the Blade movies. Before Blade Trinity was released I sat around thinking about things that would be cool to add into the third movie. Amazingly enough, Blade screenwriter David S. Goyer actually put most of the ideas I had into that movie and I've never even spoken to the guy.

I suppose thats all pretty common place when you think about it. The entertainment business is the same as any other consumer industry. You find a particular genre and market directly to that crowd. I had the opportunity to sit and talk with former Paramount Pictures film makers, Ferd and Beverly Sebastian who released the 1974 "B" film cult classic Gator Bait .They were truely one of the most down to earth couples I've met in a long time. They sat and talked with me for over three hours about the film making process and the best way to go about getting things done. They explained to me what I would call, "common sense marketing". Meaning the best way to get your film noticed is to market it to the blue collar working class. That's why I'd call it common sense. Most films today are of course marketed to the average working class. Of couse I've seen alot of independent films that are so deep you really need to have above average intellect to really get anything out of them, and really looking into things, those are the same films that remain independent.

Hmmm... I started out with some point to make here and have wandered off into useless dribble. Anyway, yeah that's a problem quite common with me.

Writing songs is pretty much the same format as coming up with movie ideas, they just don't usually take as long to write of course. I guess that's why I've been able to come up with more country lyrics because I am part of the class that most county songs are marketed to. You've got about four basic groups that you can fit music to. People who like to dance, people who like to thrash about and head bang, people who like to sip wine and listen to Mozart, and people who like to drink beer and listen to country. My best talent so far has not been so much writing, playing, or singing, it's been the ability to know what is marketable or not. In other words, locating stuff that doesn't suck. I suppose that's part of what initially attracted me into my friendship with Casey Young . Casey is quite possibley one of the best song writers I know of that is not working for a record label. I've met alot of amatuer song writers that tell me to listen to their work and it's usually, "Well...uh...I'm not sure what exactly it is you're going for here, but...uh, yeah...keep at it." Harsh you might say. Well I'm just as critical of my own work so I don't see it that way.

Anyway, I guess back to where I started from. I've felt very overlycritical of myself as of the last couple weeks. It didn't really help much when someone who's opinion I had greatly valued told me that I was "Just average and nothing really stood out about me." That cut me deep and although I'm not at all mad at that person it kind of set me to thinking maybe alot of other people felt the same way and just never had the guts to come out and say it. I dunno, maybe I'm reading to deep into it. I have a tendency to do that too. Oh well, Que Sera.

By the way Ryan has a new web page. He does alot of cussing, but he has a brilliant way of ranting about things that I am unable to muster. It's cool stuff.

-S

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure to check out my crank-blog, straight from inside my pants!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaknow, bro, I could just give you ad-free blogspace on my page =)

11:08 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

They are randomly generated, but there's a Blogger setting that requires a word to be verified before a comment can be left. Since the spambots aren't really human, they can't do that. It stopped the problem on mine.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter