Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Monday, August 08, 2005

Fond Memories of a Small Town...

I kind of got to thinking about a few things here lately. Mostly about my leaving this town. For once I am gone, this time I will not return here. I consider myself to be a Floridalinian half Floridian, half South Carolinian as I'm originally from Florida, but grew up in both states.

I was thinking mostly about Florida and the massive changes that have taken place here since I grew up. As much as we cannot stop time, we can never stop change and progress. When I was a little boy I dearly loved the great state of Florida and I was heartbroken when we moved to South Carolina. We lived just a mile from the Chassahowitzka River and that is were all my summers were spent until I was eight. I used to ride my bicycle down to the river and hang out with my older siblings or often just my friends. My parents never worried too much about me because being a little place, someone would always be looking out for me. I loved going down river with Paul my brother-in-law. It was such a beautiful serene place. You could get up into some of the creeks and see and old gator sunning himself on a log or otters skimming around the boat hoping you'll toss them a fish. Then once you headed out to the Gulf you could see porpoises diving in and out of the wake from your boat. It was my sanctuary.

So many things have changed since I've grown, but as much as things change, they stay the same. I think once I am gone I will miss that river and I will miss people who I don't even know, knowing who I am. These things don't hold the value to me that they once did, but I know that I will miss them. On one of the many times that I decided I needed a break from being a law enforcement type I was delivering pizzas part-time. I took a pizza down to Chassahowitzka, (Chass) as it is refered to by locals. I did not know the older gentleman I was delivering to, but he mentioned that he was a comercial fisherman and had just gotten in from a Stone Crab trip. I told him that he probably knew my late brother-in-law and his response was, "Paul Hampton, oh yes I knew Paul Hampton. Who didn't know Paul Hampton? He was a fine upstanding man, and one of the best fisherman I knew of. Hated to see him pass on. So you're Susan's little brother eh, you must be a MacMeeken. Son, I knew your daddy too. I liked old Al. He was sure a character now I tell you what, he sure was. Man I was sorry to hear about him passing away too. Makes me kinda sad to see people I've known for years pass on. They just don't make 'em like that anymore." Like I said, I'd never even met this man, but as he payed for his pizza he pulled out more money and gave me nearly a ten dollar tip. It's things like this that I will forever cherish. Little southern fisherman who knew my brother-in-law and my dad. Guys who work long crappy hours on the water to make a living then reach into their wallet and give me money that they didn't need to, just because of who I happen to be.

When it's time for me to leave Florida I am going to go down to Chass, rent a boat, and head down river for several hours. This is were I will make peace with myself and my God. Then I will close this chapter of my life.

God Bless!

-S

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story. You have such a nice way of bringing out poignant details of your life.

Being a military brat, I moved around a lot, but I always consider Virginia home.

Alice

4:14 AM  
Blogger Rebel_Posse1973 said...

Was Florida ever "the south"?

Oh, oh for cryin' out... Of course it was "the south". It was one of the original seven states to become the CSA, but I'm not going to start into that.

-S

4:14 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Sounds like an awesome way to segue into your new life while keeping the old memories.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter