Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Why the Long Face?

Among the various things I don't like about myself, one major thing that bugs me is the length of my face. I've often caught a view of my profile while passing a mirror and thought, "Damn son, you've got a long head." My Grandpa on my mother's side had a long face and somehow aside from the weight fluctuations, I take after him. Silly bird legs and a long face. To add to this, I battle the weight around my mid-section like a fat dragon that likes to creep up on me. For some reason I only ever gain weight around my middle, so with the long face, bird legs, and chubby mid-section I have the tendency to look like Big Bird. I jokingly asked my mother one time if during my birth she had clenched down in a sudden fit of pain thereby stretching my head. She got quite a laugh and my face is still long.

I try to reassure myself with things like, Ben Affleck has a head and face shape that is nearly the same as mine and he is quite the Hollywood leading man, but it only works until the next time I catch a glimpse of my profile. To make matters worse, I have had to concentrate on my relaxed face look. For along time I used to have a habit of relaxing my face with my jaw lowered and my mouth slightly agape. This was not something I did conciously so that combined with having a long face gave the appearance that I might have Down Syndrome. It seemed as though I would often hold my face in this position whenever I was bored, which often meant that I looked this way while sitting through a Sunday sermon. Yes it's true, while sitting through many a church service in my youth I often looked like "Mama's special boy" I remember my older sister telling me one time in church, "Stop looking like that, you look retarded." -sigh-

Anyway, I'm sure we all have plenty of things we don't like about ourselves. Many of them are things that only we notice which makes life easier. Then there are those who hate their appearance so badly that they get intense plastic surgery and end up like Michael Jackson, looking like the Phantom of the Opera.

All in all my point is, not many people are completely happy with the way they look. The thing is being able to be content with yourself regardless. The things we may not like about ourselves may be the very same things that attract other people to us, one never knows.

-S

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the hybrid of my uncle and my dad. I have my dad's long legs, and my uncles stalky, broad torso. I hate it. If I wear jeans and a decently long T-shirt that's not tucked in I look normal enough, but I have horrible body consciousness.
Enough to the point that I've measured and my legs are 11" longer than my torso. There's a foot more of legs to me than torso. Feh.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Adder said...

LOL, it doesnt matter guys, its about presentation. Don't tell my you havn't seen the goofiest guys in the world with some of the hottest women. Just gotta have the confidence or an angle....angles work nicely.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Adder said...

Here's an example.

Yesterday while i was at the beach i saw too dudes who you could tell spend most of thier time working out walking some goofy stupid little dog on the beach. First thought, wtf does that dude have such a wussy little dog. Then you think about it. Thats how he picks up out of towners. He walks up and down the beach with that quarter pint little yapper and meets girls.

Im glad i dont have to do shit like that.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Rebel_Posse1973 said...

Yeah Brandon, I guess I could use Steve as my angle. He is a good looking dog with alot of charisma,catches tennis balls, etc., but of course the occasional pissing on someone's leg can be somewhat of a turn off. I suppose if he happened to do that I could use it to my advantage, "Oh no, I'm sorry he's never done that before. I just live right around the corner. If you want we can go to my place and wash your jeans." Heh, :P

-S

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want a friggin chick MAGNET,
take Katie to the beach. You'd have to beat girls off of you with a STICK carryin her around.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter