Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, July 31, 2005

It's days like these that you miss them the most...



Sometimes when you're feeling down in the first place, life has a special way of adding to it.

I woke up today and among other things on my mind, I remembered today is Dad's birthday. He would have been sixty-eight today.

It's been almost a year and four months since Dad passed away and I haven't stopped missing him. I never want to forget all the simple things about my dad. I was looking at this picture and reminiscing about some of the things he always wore. That camo jacket was his favorite jacket in the winter time. It was given to him by a family friend who was in the Army and Dad wore it proudly. That was my Dad. Polo shirts tucked in with jeans or slacks and he always wore these big American Indian silver and turquoise rings. I'd never be seen wearing rings like he did, but I always thought they suited him well. My sister Tracey kept those rings when Dad died. I was happy for her to have them. My birthday is coming up next month and it's not so much the idea of getting any gifts, it's just the fact that I will forever miss the usual gifts my dad would give me. Dad, Tracey, and I have always liked Native American artwork so Dad would every year give me some type of Native American items, or something with wolves on it. I have a bunch of things he has given me over the years that are priceless to me. Maybe I put too much value on some things, I dunno.

I'm ready to move from this house. There are just too many memories here.

-S

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, that was very touching. Your dad sounds like a great man who had a great life.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Alice

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dad was one of the most down-to-earth, kind-hearted, hard-assed REAL men I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Miss him. Honor him. But live on. You're more like him than you think.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

That was beautiful, I hope it helped your grief to share the memories.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter