Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Monday, July 18, 2005

Gettin' Ready...

Well, as I'm sitting here waiting for my laundry to get done so I can head out to good old Abbeville, S.C. I decided to write about my habit of being clumsy, actually more like being a bit of an oaf, so here we go.

From the time I was very young I had a habit of tripping over things, knocking things over, or injuring my dad in some manner. It seemed my mother waited on me hand and foot in my childhood days. This wasn't so much because I ordered Mom around. It was more because she was afraid I was going to spill something. I could hardly open the fridge without something jumping out at me and of course no one had thought about plastic jars at that time so it usually meant quite a mess. My dad had to repaint the ceiling over the fridge because it had tea stains on it. How did they get there? I managed to drop a container of tea with such force that it actually splashed up to the ceiling.

One habit I had a real knack for was inadvertantly injuring my dad. It seemed like when ever I took a stumble, myself, or whatever I might have in my hand would often go flying in Dad's direction. To make matters even worse, I have a horrible habit of laughing when these things happen which would make Dad furious. When I was around fourteen, Dad was a high steel painter. He took a fall from a ladder and fell onto some pipes below him breaking his hip. When Mom, my brother, and me went to visit him in the hospital they had his leg up in traction. I should also add now that I get bored easily and tend to start looking for something to mess with. I was sitting in a chair at the foot of Dad's hospital bed and happened to notice some type of round weights hanging at the foot of the bed. I couldn't help myself. As I was saying, "What are these things for?" I picked up the weights then let em' go thereby causing Dad's leg to go down, then fly back up again! I realized that I had made a huge blunder as I saw my dad stiffen up and begin to turn red as though someone had just hit him with a ball bat. He muttered, "If you touch those again, I'll kill you." My brother actually ran out of the room.

My dad had alot of problems with that hip and eventually had to get a prosthetic replacement put in. I could've very well been the reason that it never healed right.

I was watching a home video that was filmed about a year after Dad's injury. He most often got a wheel chair or motorized scooter when we went to amusement parks for obvious reasons. Anyway, I was watching the film and saw Mom pushing Dad in the wheel chair and I thought well why the heck was Mom having to push him and not me, it seemed kind of rude to me. Then it dawned on me the reason why. He wouldn't let me push him. We had started the day with me pushing him in the chair and I kept accidently ramming him into stuff. His shins and ankles were all scraped up due to the various obstacles I had collided him with so he wouldn't let me near him the rest of the day.

My father loved me dearly, but I think he spent a good deal of time being afraid that I was going to injure him in some manner.

One time, I was going to put my hand on an ex girlfriend's face, in a gentle loving manner of course and somehow ended up clocking her right in the jaw. This is not the reason we're not together anymore, but needless to say I felt really awkward and sorry, and she was kinda pissed about it.

At times my clumsiness has actually given the appearance that I was a highly skilled warrior. Case in point. Years ago there was a small riotous situation in the jail I was working in. I ran in to help my supervisor who got caught in the middle of the whole thing. Some inmates had dumped water on the floor and as soon I my feet hit it, I lost my footing. There was an inmate fighting next to me so as I was heading to the floor I grabbed him. With what little traction I could get I pushed myself towards the inmate. My feet came up off the ground and I sort of ended up doing a pro-wrestling style flip around the inmate taking him to the ground. After everything had settled, my supervisor, who had apparently watched the whole thing told me, "Man, you are bad ass. That was the coolest thing I've ever seen!!" I just said, "yeah, thanks." As Buzz Lightyear would say, " That was falling, with style."

Well, there's a couple stories about my life. More to come.

See yall when I get back!

-S

2 Comments:

Blogger Nettie said...

That's impressive that you managed to turn it into something cool! And the tea, also...

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so many Tea stories about Scott...

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter