Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Long and Winding Road...



Well Vella, here's another long retrospective into a dark spot of my soul. I know how you love these posts, but well, sorry I'm just in that mood.

This was another ill-fated band I was in some years back. We called ourselves, Southern Cross. It had nothing to do with the Crosby, Stills, and Nash song, although I do like that song. It was an idea we came up with because of the sort of rocka-billy sound we had that crossed into country and rock.

We had a few people wanting to push us out front with gigs, etc. We played at one big concert, managed to upset some elderly people, then started getting pissed with each other, well the rest is history. I have no contact with anyone from that band except Casey who always remains my friend. Jon Perry the little guy leaning against the tree directly behind me died of a drug overdose at age twenty-four last year. He had moved to Orlando and I hadn't seen him in quite some time, but I was still very saddened to know he was gone. What a waste of talent. He was an amazing guitar player and for the most part, a really good guy. I don't know why people have to go down the drug road. He went out like so many musicians do, but never got his moment of fame.

I've felt very melancholy lately. When I get in this mood I have an unfortunate habit of looking backward in my life. A sort of ho-hum, I wish this had turned out better kind of outlook. Yes, of course I know it's unhealthy, but it's a habit hard for me to break. No worries, I'll pull out of it in a couple days.

We're running with the shadows of the night. So baby take my hand it'll be alright. Surrender all your dreams to me tonight. They'll come true in the end. - Pat Benatar

-S

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebel_Posse1973 said...

LOL. It wasn't anything major. We played this concert with around a thousand people. Not so much as I could tell, but apparently a large portion of the crowd was in their golden years. We were back stage and this cranky old Patsy Cline wanna be, karaoke tape using old biddy came up and was very rude towards me despite my politeness. She said, "You ran off all the people my age with your loudness and they won't come back!" etc. I eventually just apologized and walked off while she was still talking. I guess the guy who was running sound for all the bands there was a huge fan of lead guitarists, so he had Jon cranked way up in the mix. Most of the younger people there came up after the concert and told us how great we were, some even asked for autographs, which was really cool, but apparently some older people had actually left. I felt kind of bad, but waddaya do?

-S

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith Henderson looks HUGE in that picture...

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith Henderson is huge in oh so many ways. Just ask him....he'll tell ya'.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter