Diary of a Mad Mac

Things you wished you'd never read. Things your mother warned you about. Welcome to the world of an insane Scottish-American. Haggis anyone?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Abbeville, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, May 26, 2005

My Music Review... Cowboy Troy



As much as I have personally not cared for pretty much anything put out by the Muzik Mafia record label, I really like what this guy is doing. At first glance I thought this was another dude making something really stupid and capitalizing on the country music fans' tolerance of the bridge from other music genres. I read more into this guy and realized his level of coolness extends far beyond that.

Native Texan Troy Coleman, aka Cowboy Troy stepped onto the scene with the help of label mates Big & Rich in 2004. The recent release of "Loco Motive" marks Cowboy Troy's first solo CD.

Cowboy Troy's style is what he refers to as hick-hop. In his own words, " You're not going to be able to classify it in the sense of saying it is this or that. It's going to be an amalgamation of a bunch of different things. I grew up listening to Charlie Daniels, Jerry Reed, and Kenny Rogers and you incorporate that with ZZ Top, Kiss, Boston and the Eagles then you fold in the rap aspects of Run DMC and LL Cool J. When you see a dance floor get packed with cowboys and cowgirls whenever a Nelly or Ludacris song comes on, you know there is a place for it."

Again, I would usually look at something like this and think, "oh how stupid", but I can appreciate what this black guy from Texas is doing here. The single being pushed now is called "I Play Chicken With the Train" I like it. It has the usual chickin' pickin' country guitar sound, fiddles, and a kickin' beat. Then added in are Cowboy Troy's hick-hop raps.

Hats off to you Cowboy Troy. I like what you've done here and I hope it continues to work. Cool stuff, check it out.

www.cowboytroy.com

-S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter